POSTED 10 Mar
Senior Executive, Financial Planning and Analysis
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Executive Lead of FP&A will drive the financial planning, analysis and reporting cadence for Automattic. This will include building and analyzing scenarios to grow and scale the business, which leads to the setting of and achieving business-unit and enterprise-level financial targets. Automattic owns a diverse set of assets, deploys numerous business models and supports both B2C and B2B customers in a fast-paced, complex market. This role will be responsible for the development and reporting of a set of key performance indicators that enable business units, and members of the executive team to monitor the health of the businesses and use analytics, business insight, and research to drive improvement scenarios and longer-term plans. In addition, this person will be asked to take the lead role in identifying and leading key cross-business improvements in areas such as pricing, installed base and churn analytics, marketing/LTV/SAC modeling, enterprise commission plans, KPI dashboards, etc. Related to this responsibility will be the incremental assignment of driving the financial elements of Automattic’s data strategy, analytics, and modeling activities, working closely with data scientists and analysts across the Company.This leader will drive the transformation of Automattic’s finance organization with regards to processes, systems, and tools. The role will be responsible for leading external-to-internal financial best practices into Automattic and identifying leverage points with external sources to analyze and report SaaS metrics and platform business models. To date, Automattic has been very acquisitive. This position will play an active role in the M&A and corporate development process as the Company continues to add revenue, products, services, and talent through inorganic growth. The The FP&A position will have a key role in managing data flows, modeling, and analysis with investment banks and will hold responsibility for coordinating Board decks, investor presentations, and other corporate-level communication.The position will also play a major role in preparing for and delivering successful primary and secondary liquidity events and transitioning Automattic to a public-ready reporting structure. Finally, this person will provide an internal candidate path for a CFO successor. The candidate will have had previous public company experience, preferably in taking a company public, experienced rapid growth in a software/SaaS environment and worked closely with a hands-on founder. Candidate Profile:The role requires an experienced, energetic, polished professional with a strong operational finance background, project and process management skills, and experience within the technology industry, preferably in a recurring or SaaS revenue model.Direct experience in leading a corporate-wide FP&A team, within a company with an international, multi-divisional business model. Strong analytical skills with business acumen and the ability to transition between the strategic and the detailed. Complex financial and operational modeling experience is a must.Our FP&A lead will have experienced high-growth environments, as well as supporting expansion through new business models and adjacent revenue streams.Leadership skills as a corporate champion for cost management and waste reduction across the company by leading the development, monitoring, and reporting of key operational metrics and driving processes to improve productivity and efficiency within the businesses and functions. Cultural fit is critically important and includes trust, professionalism, collaboration and a bias for action. Demonstrated ability to adjust and adapt. Able to work well under pressure while dealing with multiple competing priorities, strong work ethic, and passion for his/her work. She or he will have proven leadership skills with outstanding communication capabilities and influencing skills. The successful candidate must be seen as a business and thought partner and have the ability to identify and drive material change across the Company. The candidate must be comfortable and effective in dealing with all levels of the organization and have the potential to assume larger, broader roles in the future.Proven success in hiring, developing and retaining top talent with the capabilities required to accomplish the company’s business goals, and the leadership skills to grow and scale the future business. In terms of competency requirements, we would highlight the following:
- Strong business and operational orientation and demonstrated track record of close partnership with the senior leaders and influencing business decisions.
- Self-starter and ability to take complete ownership of their areas of responsibility. Automattic is a dispersed company and requires advanced skills in communication and leadership through influence and data-driven decision making.
- Previous leadership experience in developing and transforming finance and accounting organizations, embedding financial and corporate BI support into all areas of the business. Ability to play a leading role in data analytics and connecting operational and financial performance.
- Adopts a broad, long-term perspective on the business, including customer segments and the external environment. Develops hypotheses or alternative scenarios of how critical issues will play out beyond the year and uses these to set challenging goals with future payoff or outcomes.
- Business acumen, strategic agility, and operational intuition to go beyond the numbers in dissecting/analyzing business issues, challenges, and opportunities.
- Very strong analytical and financial skills to evaluate a broad range of complex business questions, especially such items as; valuation, ROI/ROIC, portfolio analysis, pricing, marketing, etc.
- Extensive experience in knowledge of financial planning software and prior success in defining, implementing and evolving an enterprise data management system.