POSTED 18 May
Avaaz reaches tens of millions of citizens every week with opportunities to change the world. This includes protecting our planet from climate change and other threats, stopping disinformation on social media from undermining our democracies, and deepening human connection.Our tech needs are growing, and we’re now looking for a growth mindset Data Engineer with a deep commitment to making an impact in the world to join our tight-knit group of outstanding professionals, working from home in 25 countries. If you’re up for an adventure, read on…Some of the things we’ve been working on are...
- A system for citizens to report disinformation ahead of the EU and US elections
- Reporting on how YouTube’s recommendation algorithm promotes climate denial
- Connecting citizens stuck at home during the coronavirus pandemic
- Providing our campaigns team with detailed statistics to measure campaign success
- Porting our existing architecture to more flexible, containerized services
- Provision and configure servers for data manipulation
- Write ETL software to interface with multiple data sources
- Clean, aggregate, and provide static datasets
- Set up data processing pipelines for recurring data collection needs
- Document findings as applicable.
- Software engineering experience in Python with focus on ETL, and a solid grasp of parallelization methods
- Experience in AWS (EC2 and Lambda) and GCP (namely BigQuery)
- Linux server configuration and load management
- Knowledge of, and ability to apply data protection best practices
- Extensive experience with relational databases
- Delivery orientation with high attention to detail and without paralyzing perfectionism
- Fluency in English and excellent communication skills.
- Experience in R
- Experience in using AWS and GCP offerings for data processing
- Good software architecture skills
- Data Science skills and experience.