POSTED 3 Jun
Associate Product Manager
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Position DescriptionWe are looking for an Associate Product Manager to join our rapidly growing team and make an immediate impact by building products to support our business’s hyper-growth! You will guide the team through the development of highly complex features, working with others to make tradeoff decisions, prioritize the right things, and ensure we are shipping extremely high-quality product. You will partner with a cross-functional team of engineers, designers, and marketers as well as customers to define, build, and launch critical initiatives.This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Product ownership, including backlog grooming, triage and prioritization, and cross-functional coordination.
- Defining scope of development for new product features and on-going feature enhancements including all management of backlog and project management activities.
- Write and prioritize user stories and define acceptance criteria.
- Ability to establish and maintain a high-level of credibility and positive relationships with internal and external business partners.
- Analytical ability to break down complex problems and effectively use data and analytics layered against high-quality user research to inform the direction of the product.
- Project management: Track progress, assess risks, coordinate delivery, and actively communicate contingency and mitigation plans for the team.
- Research: Run various ad-hoc research and business analyses to assess opportunities and risks.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Become acquainted with your product area, the product goals, and those you will work closely with.
- Independently start to study and learn the Toptal product suite.
In the first month, expect to:
- Work cross-functionally and with Senior PMs to coordinate and prioritize your high-level roadmap and backlog.
- Start working closely with your development team.
- Continue to learn Toptal’s suite of products.
- Take over all in-flight and planned initiatives.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Fully support a product area, working with Senior members of the team to complete quarterly planning and set OKRs.
- Ship features that deliver high business impact.
- Be fully embedded into and owning a development team.
- Monitor and measure the success of your initiatives against company goals.
- Continuously improve your team’s processes.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Work with Senior Product Managers to discover new product opportunities for your backlog.
- Develop a repeatable model for delivering upon your roadmap initiatives.
- Work with other PMs to measure and refine your roadmap, backlog, and processes to make improvements over time.
- Constantly re-evaluate your roadmap’s alignment with the strategic goals of the business, adjusting where necessary.
In the first year, expect to:
- Deliver on your roadmap priorities and promises.
- Ensure your team has an incredible record of building impactful products in a timely and elegant fashion.
- Have worked cross-functionally to scale your team to meet the growing needs of our business and our users.
- 2+ years of software or internet product management experience.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Business Administration.
- Ability to analyze data as well as conduct research through various discussions with customers and teammates.
- Ability to build wireframes and mockups; we need people with a knack for keeping things simple.
- Outstanding attention to detail with a high bar for quality when writing user stories, reviewing designs, brainstorming technical approach, and testing a feature before it is released.
- Be humble, willing to learn, and do whatever is needed to help your Senior team members to accomplish the team goals.
- Experience using agile development methodologies with globally-distributed teams.
- Ability to keep up with a fast-paced and global company.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.