POSTED 15 May
Head of Project (Infrastructure Finance / Private Equity)
UNOPS has been providing Advisory Services in order to strengthen public sector capabilities in the development of Public Private Partnerships (PPP) and in financing of large infrastructure where there are private investments in either debt or equity for helping the governments in their efforts to advance in the Sustainable Development Goals. All in line with the 2030 Agenda and in Financing for Development, as the whole UN is moving towards the reinforcement of the SDG financing architecture and ecosystem to integrate social protection and under the initiative of Leave No One Behind. These kinds of projects require significant input from financial experts.
Through its PPP portfolio, UNOPS is developing advisory services in infrastructure finance with private sector funding and operations. This includes public-private partnerships, concessions, management contracts, loans and other partnerships to support the national and local governments to address the challenge on how to prioritize and how to finance the infrastructure investment needed.
The Head of Project (Infrastructure Finance / Private Equity), will be part of the PPP and Infrastructure Finance Advisory Services team, and shall provide expertise debt financing in areas related to project finance, asset management, project preparation, blended finance and other tools or mechanisms to mobilize debt financing of large infrastructure. This position is expected to provide initial support to projects in Honduras but will also support projects in other countries of the LCR region as required.
Based on project requirements and individual background and profile the Head of Project will work in one or more areas described below:
A. Business development in PPPs advisory services or in Sustainable Infrastructure Finance
- Devise and propose strategies to expand or improve the reach of UNOPS services in PPP and IF;
- Work closely with Country Directors to develop relationships with key institutions and decision makers in government entities, development banks, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Manage diverse project teams in multiple transactions, specially leading and integrating the different areas of work within a PPP/ infrastructure project (legal, financial, technical, etc.);
- Develop of investment promotion proposals, and support during preparations of terms and conditions of equity financing, discussions with potential investors, risk rating agencies, regulators, asset managers, pension funds, etc.;
- The Senior Advisor will take leadership advisory roles managing complex projects in advisory services, in compliance and control areas as per UNOPS procedures and policies, acting as a Senior Advisor under UNOPS PM guidelines and systems.
C. Financial modelling for deal or portfolio strategy in Infrastructure
- Lead the development of the financial, commercial and overall deal or portfolio strategy, working with the other experts and leadership of the PPP & IF AS team.
- Lead the commercial assessment and viability of the proposed transactions to ensure viability and manage the risk to secure successful tender processes.
- Coordinate the development of pre-feasibility and feasibility studies, value-for-money analysis, public-private comparator, project screening matrixes, decision models, risk assessment and matrixes;
- Ensure proper financial analysis is done and proper valuation of any assets under analysis is performed under the highest standards of ethics and expertise.
- Work with the team of expert advisors on legal, financial and tax areas on feasibility studies, including risk assessment and matrix, services regulation and other legal aspects involved in PPP/ infrastructure project;
- Work closely with technical experts to ensure the smooth integration of all documentation and impact across the legal and financial documentation;
- Support the renegotiation of contracts (PPP, Concession, PPAs, loan agreements, equity acquisitions or disposals, articles of incorporation, preferred share agreements, etc.).
- Work with UNOPS own and external auditors in securing compliance and proper risk management of any project or assets under management or advisory.
- A third level education degree (master’s degree or equivalent) is required. Preferably in the fields of Finance, Economics, Business Administration (MBA), or other relevant field.
- A second level education degree (bachelor's degree or equivalent in finance, economic, Business Administration (MBA), or other relevant fields plus additional years of experience on top of minimum years required may be accepted in lieu of the Master´s degree;
- A minimum of ten years (or more depending on academic credentials) of relevant experience in the field or infrastructure private equity leading deals in asset management, leading teams of mergers and acquisitions in infrastructure assets.
- Experience in investing in infrastructure in emerging markets, ideally in a diversified portfolio in different sectors of infrastructure (energy, transport, etc.).
C. Experience in one or more of the following areas will be considered an advantage:
- Development and implementation of financial structures for infrastructure Project Preparation, via project preparation facilities (PPFs).
- Developing financial structures and advising on equity areas of infrastructure finance for the PPP projects proposed, during the preparation phases to ensure bankability.
- Advising on negotiations of terms towards reaching financial close of large infrastructure investments.
- Developing mechanisms for long-term equity financing and dealing with large private investors.
- Building an extensive network of contacts and building an own solid reputation as an expert in financing of infrastructure. PPP or financing advisory projects (projects awarded or financial close reached).
- Development and management of facilities, either for project preparation or asset management related to a portfolio of investments.
- Experience developing an extensive network of contacts in the financial / investor areas of Infrastructure Finance, ideally at MDBs, IFIs and ODA.
- Experience on legal implications of infrastructure financing, concession and PPP legislation, financial services regulation, etc.
- Formal Certification in accounting in (CPA) Financial modeling applied to infrastructure, project finance, portfolio management, or accounting is an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required
- Fluency in Spanish is desirable.
- Fluency in other languages is an asset
Contract level: IICA-4 (Retainer)
Contract duration: 12 months (possible extensions based on good performance and budget availability)
One (1) position available: Home based, the candidate must be available to travel at least 35% of his service and may have multi country responsibilities.
UNOPS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
We encourage female candidates to apply.