POSTED 16 Mar
Imagine a product that reached over a million users without a sales team. That same product is at the edge of where careers are headed, where every person becomes their own brand with limitless growth potential ahead. That's the opportunity at vidIQ – an infinite market, a large and highly engaged customer base, and the chance to help build and scale vidIQ's data engine that drives insights for millions of creators.
Why this Role? Why vidIQ?
- Join a truly global, remote team: Work from anywhere! Have co-workers all around the world. Get the opportunity to travel for events and company meet-ups.
- Leave better than you came in: We are always learning at vidIQ. We learn by doing. We learn from each other — and we are incentivized to attend conferences, obtain certifications, and take training courses.
- Build the future with us: In today’s ever-changing world of technology, video is coming in fast and hard to dominate both the entertainment and marketing space. With multiple devices to choose from — from mobile to tablet, desktop to streaming video on our televisions, more and more people are not only using video to make purchasing decisions, but also changing the way they receive their entertainment.
- Tackle our most interesting and impactful problems: We are setting precedents and coming up against challenges no one has seen before. You will need to be resourceful and creative. You will not be bored!
- Right time, right place: We are small enough that you will have true ownership and the feel of a close-knit team. But, we are established enough to have hit profitability and product-market fit, which gives us a fun and challenging field to play on!
Company MissionWe want to empower Creators. We help creators on their journey to being better video creators through tools and training.Just about every single human on this planet loves to listen to stories, to experience them, and some to tell them. Because of the opportunity the internet gives us where people are able to build businesses while in the comfort of their own home, a lot of people are seeking this opportunity and many of them, with amazing stories, are giving up too fast. There's too much bad information out there on how creators become successful, how they build their audiences. vidIQ challenges this status quo by giving creators the tools and knowledge needed to grow their audiences faster by enabling them to uncover their own opportunities by just using vidIQ.We believe that by equipping people with the best tools and education to solve their own problems, we can tackle the whole world's problems.
The ProductThe best way to understand vidIQ is to play with the product: www.vidiq.com/extensionWe've heard vidIQ described many ways. It can be the tool that you use to manage your YouTube channel, making deep analytical insights accessible that saves dozens of hours a week. When someone attends any of our live streams or academy, it's the education every creators need to be successful. We're also know as the best video keyword research tool available to many folks. At vidIQ's core, it's a tool that gives creators what they need to navigate toward the success they want to have because of the tools and education made readily available.
So what will you do at vidIQ in this Scala Developer role?Join us as a Scala Developer and help us develop existing microservices and create new features!This role is a bit unique. As part of our growing engineering team, you will mostly focus on porting existing Ruby on Rails services to Scala. This project will take from 4 to 6 months. When the port is complete, your responsibilities will shift to building and improving our new Scala API & Data Pipelines.We are a remote company and our team works from wherever they want. That means you must be self-motivated to succeed. If that sounds great to you and you’re interested in empowering video creators, you’ll fit right in.
- Take ownership of services that you are working on.
- Migration of RoR business logic to Scala.
- Take the initiative to resolve product issues.
- Improve project architecture with the goal of increasing quality.
- Help teammates with brainstorming sessions, technical design discussions, and code reviews (we highly appreciate all sort of improvements).
- Write readable, testable, maintainable code.
What technologies do we use:
- Scala — Cats, FS2, http4s, ZIO, izumi, doobie
- AWS — EKS, S3, SQS
- Databases — PosgreSQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB,
- Other useful things — kubernetes, docker, github
You might be a fit if...You have
- A Strong understanding of REST API / Microservices concepts and best practices.
- An Understanding of SOLID principles.
- Experience working on at least one large Scala application.
- Experience working with a variety of databases, especially PostgreSQL, MongoDB and DynamoDB.
- Effective project and time management skills.
- Creative problem solvers who take the initiative to improve products.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Remote teams require things be written down and communicated clearly and kindly.
Other things to know:
- We are a small, remote team in different time zones and communicate with a variety of tools through the day. You should feel comfortable in this situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! You can expect to travel once per year for a company retreat. (We visited Spain together last year!)
- We want to be the best platform for video creators. Everything we do is to build trust with our users and help them improve at their craft.
- We expect team members to run their own projects. This involves writing out specs, preparing project milestones, committing to a timeline, and providing weekly status updates.
- Projects are run transparently. Everyone is able to view the status of any project at any time and ask questions or lend a hand.
- We match or exceed market salary in the country you live in.
- We offer a flexible work schedule where you decide which hours to work. We expect an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We offer a generous vacation policy of taking time when you need it. Most team members take 4–5 weeks of time off per year.
- We support professional development and will pay for relevant courses and conferences.
- This is a full-time role and we are not open to short-term contracts.
- Our hiring process involves the following: Application, phone conversation, follow-up phone conversation to discuss the project, full-time offer.
We ask that you include a personal letter with your application. In this letter, please tell us why you think you’re the right person for this role, what you think about the migration of old systems to new technologies, why you’re interested in taking this position, and tell us about any remote work experience you have.vidIQ does not work with recruiting agencies and strives to work with each candidate one-on-one through the hiring process. We will respect your time availability if you are currently employed.vidIQ provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, or sexual orientation.If you think you would thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Please apply!